Hour Family Community Outreach Afterschool Program
- Home School Connection-The ASP instructors act as a liaison between school and home to increase communication and understanding of the “village’s” approach to raising children.
- Homework Habits which teaches beneficial study skills and techniques to children as they complete their homework.
- “Power Learn” which refers to the Project-Based Learning activities in which the children are engaged after they complete their homework. Unlike in-school time, the projects are completely initiated by the children, while the academic “lessons” are infused with direction and facilitation by the ASP instructors.
- A licensed teacher will test the children at the beginning of the program to test reading comprehension and actual grade level. Report cards will also be collected at the beginning of the program. The goal is that 90% of participants will successfully e promoted to the next grade level due in part to their out of school time activities. The program will be in operation five days a week during the school year and offer a summer program, to provide fun but will also help prevent the summer learning slide that occurs with many students over the summer.
- ASP instructors will visit the students’ school at a minimum one time per semester but will return more often if it is deemed necessary by the program supervisor.
- Wraparound services will be provided to families to promote the likelihood that the entire family will be successful.